Thursday, March 03, 2011

Hidden carbon price: We already pay $170 a tonne

Every since Gillard's unsurprising statement a week ago that there will be a carbon price set by the end of next financial year (in preparation for an ETS in a few years) there has been Federal mayhem. Death-threats, comparisons of Gillard to Gaddafi, and shrieks of outrage as Tony Abbott marshals his "People's Revolt" via angry, right-wing shock-jockery and his Liberal troops hyperbolate the morning's talking point all over the MSM.

From all this noise, one fact stands out at me. It's why the Coalition's 'government-picked-winner' approach must be never be put into practice:

Australians are paying a hidden carbon price of about $170 a tonne through a range of inefficient renewable energy programs. Wouldn't it be more sensible for the community to pay an explicit one that creates the conditions to lower greenhouse gas emissions through a market-based scheme?

Set a carbon price to prepare the economy for an ETS that will let the market do all the hard work of pricing. Why is it that Labor/Greens are pushing a market approach to reduce emissions, while the Liberals are still planning to smuggle in their command-controlled model should they stymie the Government's plans? To quote Barnaby Joyce this week:

"Every day just gets weirder and weirder,"

It sure does.

5 comments:

Kowshik Chanda said...

Hi,

You have great sense to protect our beautiful earth from green house gas, carbon dioxide, human made causes.

I always have a great interest in writing and making consciousness among people. So, I have a blog where I write about earth and global warming-climate change. But this days I have been very busy to write for my blog.

Also I have some readers who always message me to continue writing, but really I don't have enough time to continue writing.

So, here I write a lot of words only to invite you to my blog as a guest writer. That would be both beneficial for u and me.

Please have a visit to my blog.

My blog URL: http://globalsubject.blogspot.com/

Blog PR: 2

Alexa: around 6,50,000

So, if you interested to give some time for my blog I will be very happy to accept you.

Thanks,
Kowshik Chanda
kckowshik@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

There is nothing energy that trully can change or challange petrol...if can, it will make petrol price maybe little bit drop..
why is global warming happening

usha.digitalinfo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
usha.digitalinfo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
usha.digitalinfo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.